Saturday, August 16, 2014

"My Dilemma: A Personality Trait Issue"

"My Dilemma: A Personality Trait"

As I've been watching the Ice Bucket Challenge phenomena the last few days, a certain personality trait has resurfaced and created a dilemma in my life. Every couple of hours I've reposted my grandson's Ice Bucket effort and challenged a new group of friends and family. The more people I name the more concerned I become about leaving someone out - overlooking, forgetting someone and thus hurting their feelings.

Yes, I know it's a good personality trait to not overlook people, be concerned that everyone is included. Over the years I've also learned that sometimes traits can be both good and bad. That is, sometimes a strength can also create difficult times for us. The Gallup folks have done a really excellent job of helping us examine this duality in our lives with the research that resulted in the StrengthFinders survey and books. Definitely highly recommend their work if you want to understand yourself.

So, rather than continue stewing and posting I'm just going to make this blog post inviting all my friends and family to consider taking the Ice Bucket Challenge! No one needs to feel neglected or not needed or unimportant to me. This effort is huge and I know you all want to be a part of it!
Give where you want but especially consider those ALS organizations that know what is going on with research and where the funds will be best used. We give to the Central & Southern Ohio ALS Chapter which sends a portion of our gift to national where there is a knowledgeable research staff. If you're unsure but want to help, feel free to support a team member of Bill's Backers at the Walk to Defeat ALS - Columbus. If you go to the site, you can also join our team and walk with us on Sunday, September 21 at the Columbus Commons.

Go to http://web.alsa.org/goto/billsbackers. If you simply wish to join our team and make a donation, proceed to the Register drop down box and join the Bill's Backers team as a walker or virtual walker and make a donation as a team member or to any of the team members already registered.



Bill

1 comment:

  1. Dear Pastor Bill (As You Will Always Be To Me)
    My Son And I Met You When We First Moved To North Columbus. We Attended Several A.A. Meetings At Your Church Every Week For Many Yrs. You Were Such A Kind And Gracious Man...Always Overlooking The Fact That My Son Was OVERLY Energetic..And Constantly On The Move. You Sat And Talked To Me One Day While My Son Was Playing On Your Church Playground...And I Have Never Forgotten That Time You Took To Talk To Me...Someone Who You Did Not Know, And Was Not A Member Of Your Church. You Took An Interest In My Son...Who Was Only Around 4-5 Yrs Old At The Time.
    Well I Wanted To Let You Know That Someone From That A.A. Meeting Challenged Me To The ALS ICE BUCKET Challenge Last Week...& My Son And I (Who Is Now 19 Yrs Old) Both Took The Challenge To Honor You And The Valiant Fight You Have Made With This Awful Disease...ALS. I Have In Turn Made A Donation In Your Name To ALS..And Have Put The Challenge Out To ALL The Reporters At 10 TV, As Well As Jungle Jack Hannah.
    Thank You So Much For Being Such An AMAZING Inspiration In My Life And The Life Of My Son. You Are An AMAZING MAN Of God..And I Will Never Forget You!!

    ReplyDelete